Wednesday, August 24, 2011

One last goodbye

What would you give, to say one last goodbye?

Something today reminded me of the last time I said goodbye, to people I once held close, and whom I've lost touch with, never to see again.

It was hasty, and hurried. Walking to class while everyone else was leaving, distracted with many other things on my mind. We crossed paths, and he came up to me, and said he just wanted to say goodbye, since he was leaving the next day. In the haste of the moment, I almost forgot to think, simply muttering "Yeah...bye." A simple pat on the shoulder, and we parted ways, walking in opposite directions.

And that was it. I'll probably never see him again for the rest of my life.

Only later on did it hit me, reminding me of the all the goodbyes I said before I moved here. Hasty ones. Thoughtless ones. Empty words. What I felt then was nothing compared to what would feel now if I was forced to say goodbye to a friend I'd perhaps never see again.

I'd give anything to see them again. To be able to say one last, proper goodbye. To make promises to keep in touch. To remember them as they were at that moment in time. To say that perhaps in the future, when I can, I'd make the trip across the world to see them.

But no. It's too late now.

It's perhaps one of the few things in life that I ever regret not doing.