Saturday, May 28, 2011

I need you, but only if you need me

As it's stated in my now 16 simple rules, I am of the firm belief that the only people we need in our lives, are those who prove that they need us in theirs.

Which makes you stop to think, do I really matter to the people in my life? Or do they see me as a transient, nondescript human being, whom they have no desire to connect with? Someone who wouldn't care or grieve if I lost my life the next day, or walked out of their lives, never to return?

Once you have assessed that, you start to realise how many people you could just cull from your life, just because they could very well do without your existence. It wouldn't make a damn of a difference to them if you left; life goes on and they wake up the next day thinking nothing's changed. Though everything has for you.

Perhaps you need them; you cherish them and value them, but do they reciprocate that equally? Or even at all?

What do you do when they walk out of your life, leaving a gaping hole behind in it? They meant something to you, but to them, you were nothing. Nothing at all. Only something to be called upon when needed, and cast aside when not.

Which is why you cull those relationships that run like a one-way street. And early, too. You know the saying: leave before you're left.

As selfish as that sounds, just think about all the people whom you meant nothing to.

The end justifies the means.